Friday, July 22, 2011

Catching Up

So I've been really bad about keeping up with posting. I think that maybe my goal of posting once a day was a bit of ambitious. I think that maybe once or twice a week might be a bit more do-able. So I'm going to try to catch you up on what's happened since my last post in regards to 5k training, general fitness, and my walk.

I'm going to wrap up my 3rd week of training tomorrow morning. I lost a week with our family vacation to San Antonio. I was hoping to get my two runs in while we were on vacation, however that didn't happen for a couple of reasons. One, we were up way too late to be able to get up at 5am to go for a run. Secondly, the housing development that our rental house was in lived up to the title of 'The Hill Country". I really think if I tried to run in that neighborhood I would have had a heart attack, stroke, or broken a bone of some sort. So I elected to sleep in late, it was my vacation, and will just have to make up the week somewhere else. Unfortunately, I just found out today that the race I was planning on running in as my first 5k was cancelled. So I've been told there will still be a "bandit run" on the same day but the official race was cancelled. So that's kind of a bummer, but I'm still training as normal and maybe I'll find some other official races to run in around the same time. I'm really excited just about the opportunity of getting out there and continuing to grow as a runner. It is starting to get better. I still have aches and pains out on the road, but I'm starting to enjoy those pains because to me it means that somethings growing or changing. I'm still waiting for the day that my physical endurance outlasts my cardio endurance, but that too will come in time. I'm enjoying the concept of being a 'runner', it gives me a bit of pride in myself and the accomplishment that being a runner means to me personally. I recently read an article on someone's blog about how a 5k is just a warm up run for real runners and isn't anything to brag about. I really enjoyed my run the next morning because the jack-waggon's article just fueled me and made me want to run all the more. For me a 5k will be a huge accomplishment for me when I get there.

Project 280 has been a roller-coaster the past two weeks. I had gotten down to 374, being a 25 lbs weight loss and I was on cloud nine. The next two weeks brought on weight gain of 9lbs taking me back to 383. I was so mad with myself for slipping up with a few fast food meals, and letting myself fall off the wagon. This week however was a good week. Yesterday when I weighed in it was 376, dropping back down to two pounds away from where I was and 6 lbs away from my 3 month goal of 370, giving me a week and a half to get down to my goal. I continue to find a sense of accomplishment in eating healthier and working out. I'm awarded by the weight loss, but just the feelings that I get when I wake up every morning knowing that I'm doing something for myself, my wife, and my future children so that I can be around for a long time and set a better example for my children (when they get here) so that they don't have to struggle with the same things that I have. I feel stronger, leaner, and just overall more fit. I don't feel the embarrassment that I once felt when I walked into the gym. I now walk in and feel proud that I'm there and as if to say to everyone there, 'yeah I'm not ripped, but just wait and I'll be there soon'.

My walk has been a bit more of a crawl the past couple weeks. Just as I haven't been making time to blog, I also haven't made time to spend in the word, and I've noticed it. I just haven't felt like my attitude has been the same and really haven't felt as close to God as I want. I have told myself that I've just got to do it. One thing that I've learned recently is that beating myself up over my mistakes doesn't help me avoid mistakes in the future. So, I'm not going to beat myself up, I'm just going to do things different in the future starting tomorrow. I'm going to start reading through Hebrews starting tomorrow, so if you want to join me I'll be spending a week on each chapter and will try to post about my readings on a regular basis.

I'd just like to say to all of you who read my blog and follow me on twitter and Facebook I really appreciate all the support and encouragement you give me, it really means a lot to me.


1 comment:

  1. in life, it seems that no matter what it is, we have setbacks here and there. the goal is to just keep moving forward, even if we take one or two steps back. we know we can still step forward! keep up with your 5k and don't listen to that *ahem* person who said a 5k is just a warmup. If you are out there, moving your feet faster than a walk, you are a runner. If you are getting up early to go run, you are a runner! If you work through the pain, you are a runner. I've been running on and off for about 10 years now but really consistently over the last 2 years. I'm finally at a point where my endurance is strong and I actually enjoy running. But it took time. Nothing comes overnight and you will get there, eventually, in your own time. Good luck, Drew!

    ReplyDelete